The fillet of beef is a lean but super tender cut, and its flavor goes incredibly well with a rich creamy sauce. This recipe pairs these soft and tender steaks with a velvety and flavorful shiitake mushroom sauce, topped off with the sharpness of Parmesan cheese. Amazing.
Serves 2 persons as a main course
Ingredients:ADD TO CART
- Filet Mignon - 400g, portioned in 2 steaks
- Shiitake Mushroom - 188g, thinly sliced
- Shallots - 3 large pieces, slice thinly
- Garlic - 2 large cloves, sliced thinly
- Whipping Cream - 1/4 Cup or 60ml
- Chives - 1 small bunch, finely chopped
- Parmesan Cheese - 1/2 Cup or 120ml
- Unsalted Butter - 1 Tablespoon
- Vegetable Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt & Pepper - For seasoning
- Optional: Madeira or White Wine - 3 Tablespoons
For the Fillet Mignon:
1) Season the steaks with salt and pepper generously
2) In a medium skillet, on high heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry the steaks for around 3 minutes each side (for rare to medium rare doneness), or until the surface is caramelized - cook longer if needed for desired doneness
3) Place the steaks on a plate, cover loosely with tin foil and let them rest for around 5 minutes. In the meantime, set your oven in grill/broil mode.
For Shiitake Sauce:
1) In a large pan, on medium-high heat, melt the butter until it stops foaming and begin frying the shallots and garlic
2) Once the shallots turn golden brown, add the mushrooms into the pan (optional: add Madeira/White Wine after the mushrooms have been cooking for a minute)
3) Fry the mushrooms until they turn soft and shiny, lower the heat and then add the cream. Mix thoroughly, turn off heat and add the chives.
Finishing the dish:
1) Place the steaks on a tin foil lined oven tray, and spoon over the mushroom sauce on them.
2) Sprinkle cheese on top, then place in the oven on grill/broil.
3) When the sauce on top develops a golden brown crust, remove from oven and serve.